Technology and education both independently have their respective roles and significance, the graph of which is quickly rising. Technology keeps us updated, drawing a network that connect us to one another while education literates and enlightens people all over the world. At the point when these two consolidate, they make a remarkable blend of enhanced knowledge and efficient development. There are adequate cases throughout the universe of such mixes which are driving the ways in which people are experiencing learning with exactness.
Teaching has dependably been a firm premise on which education lays. The quality of learning entirely depends on the teaching attitudes and practices. Without a doubt, a consumable piece of an instructor’s opportunity is put into reviewing assignments and giving feedback to students whereas this time can be better utilized if coordinated towards the enhancement of the learning process. Two key highlights that make teaching most useful are:
- Learner-oriented teaching: To guarantee the best outcomes, educating ought to be student-centered. Teaching fulfills its objective when the student comprehends it in a way which sustains his or her aptitudes and capacities to the desired level or above. Active teaching deals with engaging students in the process of learning rather than merely delivering lectures.
- Constructive Feedback to students: Feedback plays a vital role in teaching as it marks the potential of an individual and ways to reach one’s goals. It facilitates students to meet learning outcomes of the course. Feedback also incorporates direction in the best way to expand on strengths and surpass weaknesses to mark a sound improvement in future work. As such, feedback needs to both reflect and communicate the extent to which a student:
- has fulfilled the objectives of a given task;
- reflects sufficient knowledge about the task and related aspects;
- has followed the correct writing mechanisms.
In order to assist the above-listed fundamentals of teaching, combining learning with technology can do wonders to the Higher Education system. The two wide dimensions of technology-empowered education, which are lifting the bars of value education in the present world, are Artificial Intelligence and Virtual reality. Education with such applications has now turned into a two-route process with students being the inside, around whom the said components revolve.
Artificial Intelligence (AI): Gratefully we are in the realm of artificial intelligence where people have designed the frameworks to serve teacher-student relationship. Artificial intelligence is a human-designed intelligence system that facilitates the repetitive, calculative and analytical assessment, interpretation and information providing processes through a program run by a machine (computer). AI applications help teachers to save themselves (time and effort) from unnecessary tasks and devote the time to such tasks which cannot be done by machines. For example, grading and feedback are no longer time-consuming and tedious (contrasted with prior practices) due to the AI-based computer programs. The AI-based system is sparing time for educators which can instead be invested in the learner-based teaching approach and help students work on the individual feedback polishing the student’s strengths and working on weaknesses thus marked.
Virtual Reality: “I hear, and I forget. I see, and I remember. I do, and I understand”- Confucius.
Virtual reality as the name proposes connects people to reality in a virtual manner. Virtual reality creates an artificial environment that allows interaction of the user with the physical spaces and people located at different places irrespective of the distance between them. Learner-oriented teaching environment can be augmented by active participation, involvement, and virtual learning condition. Students get to visualize knowledge and furthermore rehearse it. Virtual reality helps students to visualize or imagine information therefore whatever is being taught captures the students’ attention. Students tend to comprehend and absorb knowledge better if taught using pictures and other show shapes which eliminate the idea of repetition, remembrance or rote memorizing.
Artificial Intelligence and Virtual Reality are boon for higher education facilitating a greater success in the field of learning and producing smart individuals. The two technology enhanced components have a much broader application which shall be discussed in the following articles.
This blog post was cowritten by Stavros Sindakis and Nipun Dhaulta